COPYRIGHT

" "

Thursday, 3 March 2022

BORROWED FATHERS

 

BORROWED FATHERS

 

There were men who corrected me

before they ever asked what had made me that way,

their voices becoming walls in rooms

where I was only trying to understand

what it meant to belong somewhere.

 

I learned to read footsteps before faces,

to know the difference between anger and tiredness,

to keep my questions folded under my tongue

because some houses teach children

that silence is another form of good behaviour.

 

I watched other boys lean against their fathers

like the world had already promised them somewhere to fall,

while I carried my questions quietly,

like a stranger carrying luggage through an airport,

never certain which door was mine.

 

Still, Allah knows the rooms I survived,

the names I swallowed, the nights I outgrew,

and if childhood gave me no permanent shelter,

perhaps that is why I learned

to build one inside myself.


By

Nasirudeen Isola Muritala


No comments:

Post a Comment